In the analytics reports, email marketers will see a term called "Adjusted Open Rate" (AOR) under the Open Tracking tab. Sometimes the figure is the same as Open Rate, but sometimes it is larger. Why? We need to go back to the mechanism of open rate checking in order to understand the meaning of AOR.
To track open rate, 1and1Mail automatically insert a unique image pixel into the bottom of your HTML email. When your recipients open the email, 1and1Mail image server can capture the image pixel is loaded and mark the corresponding email as "Read".
But some email clients (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo Mail), by default, do not load the image in the HTML email unless the email is from a known person in the contact list. Such behavior of email clients is to protect the users because some images do contain virus or consume too much bandwidth in 3G/4G environment. In this case, although your recipients have opened your email, 1and1Mail server cannot track the action.
This checking mechanism is used by all mass mailers, so it is a universal problem. The actual open rate should be higher than the figure.
1and1Mail introduces Adjusted Open Rate (AOR) to make the data of Open Rate more accurate. AOR is a combination of both Open Rate and Click Rate. If your recipients open your HTML email without loading the image pixel, the open checking cannot be done, but if they click on any of the links in the email, 1and1Mail server will capture the click action and still mark the email as "Read".
Therefore, if you need to report any figures to your boss or record the data for future reference, Adjusted Open Rate is a more accurate figure that you should take.
Office PCs sometimes are shared among different colleagues and your mailing lists stored inside any email marketing software on local PC are at risk. 1and1Mail 3.7 allows users to set role-based passwords to safeguard local email database. Customers can set Admin Password and User Password. With Admin Password, customers can access all functions and data in 1and1Mail. With User Password, customers can access all functions except exporting data.
Another important feature 1and1Mail 3.7 added is a reference table for error messages. Whevener you see any error messages when the task is being sent, 1and1Mail provides a hyperlink to the solution where you can find out the root cause and how to resolve the problem.
A detailed changelog is as below:
- Role-based password protection (admin level & user level)
- Add quick reference to error messages to help email marketers find out the root cause
- Show hyperlink to solutions in the error message when testing account fails or testing email fails
- Add database tool to compress database, fix potential errors and accelerate loading software speed
- Support adjusting the sequence of address book and address group
- Support adjusting the sequence of email accounts
- Increase the allowed number of characters in search box
- Increase the allowed number of characters in email field
- Auto switch to HTML format when HTML content is being pasted
- Improve description of functions
- Fail to insert Macro text in email subject after switching to HTML format
- Sending fails when an email account encounters any error
- Fail to send emails through new created accounts
You can download 1and1Mail 3.7 Free Edition here.
After 30-day testing, reviewing customer feedbacks and fixing minor bugs, 1and1Mail is upgraded to version 3.4. Here are the important updates and highlights in the new version:
- Able to select each individual recipient in Address Book
- Able to change recipients in sent tasks
- Able to customize the length of each field in Address Book
- Able to compose MIME (HTML and plain text) in the same email
- Able to use other email accounts to send email when sending fails
- Able to replicate existing tasks
- Able to batch export email accounts
- Able to switch between Reports window and other windows
- Display the description when mouseover an address group
- The length of each customized field is increased to 100 bytes
- Add scroll bar during email account and email addresses import
- Auto adjust window size when starting a new task
- Able to copy and export sending reports
- Images cannot be shown if too many pictures are imported
- Cannot exit when testing email accounts
- Cannot export email accounts
- Email testing errors
The complete 1and1Mail changelog can be viewed here.
Composing a well-formatted, browser and email client compatible email is not an easy task at all. An HTML email is different from a web page. Many HTML formatting tags and CSS syntax are not supported in some email clients or web-based email platform.
Keep the following tips in mind can get you out of the nightmare of HTML email coding. Click to enlarge:
1and1Mail 2.8 is released on Oct. 19, 2009. Here are the updates and bug fixes to the new version.
- Added tooltips in user interface for important steps
- Enhanced task management
- Added support of TXT and HTML email templates
- Added batch delete feature in Address Book
- Enhanced search feature in Address Book
- Added Ungrouped in Address Book
- Disabled modification on address books when sending task is under progress
- Added registration mechanism (Personal Edition and Business Edition must be registered first)
Please download it here.